King Edward Garage
During the 1920s the King Edward Public House on the corner of Chapel Street and Central Drive was also a Garage and licensed to provide parking space for two charabancs operated by local firm WC Standerwick. It is November 1921 and we see one of Standerwick's Tilling Stevens charas awaiting its next call for duty on open space next to the King Edward Garage (and Public House). A series of marvellous painted hoardings provide details of excursion and services to various locations in the northwest as well as a blackboard with chalked information on the nearby 'Derby' between Preston and Burnley with a fare of 2 Shillings for both travel there and back from Blackpool plus entry to the Preston North End ground.
Fittingly this corner red brick complex which includes the former 'King Edward Picture House' and LMS railwaymen accommodation block are to be retained as a heritage centre - part of the planned redevelopment of the former Central Station site behind the promenade. Hopefully some tangible reference will include the early role of the area as a charabanc garage and station for the Standerwick family business of the 1920s - seen above. Image Copyright : John Woodman Archive.