Talbot Road Track
Utilities work on Talbot Road is now uncovering the tram track which was formerly used for Layton bound cars from Talbot Square. Contractors are finding this earlier tram route at every point along their excavations as can be seen in these cross sections photographed today.
These images are from excavations just east of the Abingdon Street road junction on Talbot Road. All existing electric, water and gas mains are being realigned with new materials (examples seen in the lower image) so that work on removing the entire roadway and tramway heritage last used in 1936 - can begin. The Layton tramway, at least in the town centre was replaced in the mid 1920s with a doubling of the line between Cookson Street and Talbot Square - but with a short single track section opposite from Yates Wine Lodge. Ironically the Marton line down parallel Clifton Street to Talbot Square also had a short single track section outside Yates Wine Lodge building.