Lime Grove Contrasts
Generational difference with a gap of at least 58 years. Blackpool buses at Lime Grove on the 9 Service to Cleveleys just a few changes in styling ! Top Image is of Titan 28 delivered in 1940 seating 48 passengers to Walter Luff's preferred style with centre entrance. Number 28 was the subject of internal modification in 1946 when its dual staircase was replaced with a single version as testbed for the postwar bus order which followed in 1949 and 1951. They didn't do things by halves in those days. Two tranches of fifty buses all bodied of course locally by HV Burlingham and numbered 201 to 300. Number 28 is stopped at Lime Grove on Bispham Road waiting for expected 'customers' emerging from the Ministry of Pensions offices off camera to the right. The much enhanced site is still an important Government employer. The bus is on the 9A Service which meant it would continue on to Cleveleys via Devonshire Road after reaching Bispham. The 9B would take a 'back' route from Bispham via All Hallows Road. Much of the area then was farmland and narrow lanes without any of the housing development which would follow on during the 1960.
2016 and one of Blackpool's striking new double deck buses built by ADL in the now official colour scheme termed 'Palladium'. Also on the 9 Service passing Lime Grove. The '9' recently has been given an alternative routing towards Victoria Hospital and numbered 9A via Plymouth Road after crossing the railway line at Crossleys Bridge. The latter is in the throes of demolition which will involve complete closure of this important road link from Bispham and points north.
Both Images : Copyright John Woodman