TRAM 726

THE PLANS FOR 726

  • Agreement has been reached between the FHLT and a private individual for 726 to be subject of a long term restoration project on the Fylde coast which will see the tram returned to its original appearance.

  • The Trust will retain ownership of the tram for the immediate future and be responsible for its continued storage in Fleetwood while preliminary assessment of its condition will take place during 2015.

  • The tram will become a privately owned exhibit for public display upon.

THE HISTORY OF TRAM 726

  • Number 726 was built at Preston by English Electric in 1935 and originally numbered 263.

  • It was the final delivery in a sequence of twenty seven double deck streamline trams built for Blackpool numbered 237 - 263. The first twelve (237 - 248) had open top decks. These were enclosed in the war years.

  • Along with all of its sister cars - 726 was subject to various internal and external modifications through to its final withdrawal in 2011.

  • 726 was privately purchased in 2011 for a potential museum project in north east England and subsequently offered for sale by its then owner, prior to the tram's removal from Rigby Road Depot.

  • With contributions from Rigby Road Publishing, 726 was removed by the FHLT for storage in Fleetwood where it remains currently.completion of restoration by the new Owner. The Trust is examining several options for this purpose in 2015 jointly with the private sponsor.