TRAM 641

THE HISTORY OF TRAM 641

  • Built by East Lancashire Coachbuilders in Blackburn in 1984.

  • Prototype one-man operated tram intended year-round Fleetwood service.

  • A total of eight examples built (641 - 648) and operating up to November 2011 -  all called ‘Centenary Cars’  reflecting 1985 centenary of Blackpool’s tramway.

  • Number 641 was given a special promotional banner on its roof panels in 2010 in support of Blackpool Football Club’s achievements in reaching the Premier League that year.

  • Withdrawn from service in 2011, purchased privately for FHLT by a lifelong Blackpool supporter  -  the late Trevor Jones.

THE PLANS FOR TRAM 641

  • Centenary Car 641 is being given a makeover in 2015 to celebrate Blackpool Football Club’s longevity since 1887 - almost     as long a history as the town’s electric trams (since 1885)

  • The Centenary Class were the very last all British tram design and represent the end of a century of tram construction in     the northwest of England.  

  • The Trust also owns sister car 643 which was donated by the Partington Family in 2014.

  • Stored by the FHLT with other cars in their collection 641 featured in the 2015 Illuminations, resplendent in tangerine and white and featuring images of the Team over the  years with special attention given to Blackpool’s amazing FA Cup win in 1953. Blackpool supporters, community groups and local businesses added their names to panels on 641 under the heading ‘We are all Seasiders’.

  • READ MORE about the project for 641 - The Blackpool FC Celebration Tram