THE HISTORY OF TRAM 627

  • The tram was built at Loughborough in 1937 by the Brush Engineering Company.

  • Originally numbered 290 as one of twenty trams numbered 284 to 303 which operated on the Fleetwood service from North Station (and other routes) up to 1963.  

  • Was the very last tram to operate from North Station to Fleetwood in October 1963

  • May form part of a special display feature in the new tram / train interchange development now in the planning stage by Blackpool Council.

TRAM 627 RESTORATION TIMELINE

  • 2010 - Purchased from BTS FOR 'Friends of Fleetwood Trams' by a Fleetwood company and now owned by Fleetwood Heritage Leisure Trust.  

  • 2012 - Transported to HM Prison Kirkham. Work started on repanelling the roof sections and generally repairing external parts on the tram in a project involving a small team of Offenders together with Colin MacLeod, Trustee 

  • June / July 2012 - Repainting of the tram with undercoat and top coat in special Diamond Jubilee livery designed by Blackpool Illuminations and the Trust. Illuminated fittings applied to the tram by Bpl Illuminations - at the prison. Windows given individual vinyl panels with designs produced by students at two Fwd High Schools and the B&FC School of Art. 

  • August 2012 - Diamond Jubilee Tram display for 2012 Illuminations

  • 2013 - Tram given new look with urban street art design by ‘Inkie’ for 2013 Illuminations.

  • 2014 - Tram renumbered 290 and repainted by Trustees in former Corporation Transport green/cream style of the 1960s.

TRAM 627

Working to conserve for display, trams and artefacts of the longstanding coastal tramway serving Blackpool, Thornton Cleveleys and Fleetwood.

 

This website and the content is © 2020 of Fleetwood Heritage Leisure Trust